Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tools of the Trade

Each artist or craftsman has specific tools that they use, practically everyday, in order to make the creations we do. I thought I would share some of my tools I use in my daily routine.

Of course, my basic sewing machine....nothing fancy just forward and backward :) I think I have had this one for about 9 years now and I only paid around $100.

My handmade leather thimble for my thumb....I can't hand sew without this little guy! If I have alot of hand sewing to do, then I wrap my fingers in "gentle tape" used for your skin and can be found in the drug stores. It comes in a scotch tape like dispenser. Give a little added protection to your skin but also gives you movement.
The sharpie marker for tracing out my patterns onto fabrics.
My small scissors ....well no explaination needed for that one ;)
The small awl which is the tool with the wood ball like handle. Definately needed for jointing I even use it to poke trims and fabrics through small openings when making accessories.


A small needle and a large long needle for hand sewing; the long needle for sewing eyes on.

A needle nose pliers with the blue handle is mostly for jointing but also a great tool to grab and pull a needle through thicker fabrics when hand sewing.

A screwdriver for jointing as well as the tool with the yellow & black handle for holding locknuts.

What's your "tools of the trade"? Or your most favorite tool you can't live without?

3 comments:

Lana Manis said...

Interesting Wendy! And to think you create all of those wonderfully fantastic critters with those! I'll try to get my tools together this week and share.

Darlene said...

Hi Wendy,
My favorite tool is probably my awl, it has a darker wood ball on the end and it is invaluable for setting eyes, cleaning up seams and jointing the bears.
I have a pair of small scissors that are great for getting into small places on the animals, and then all the other regular tools.

Darlene at RaspbearyBears

VALERIE said...

MY FAVORITE TOOL IS MY COMPUTER SO I CAN VIEW ALL WHENDI'S BEARS CREATIONS AND LOVE LOVE LOVE TO GET THEM TOO .... !!!