Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Corkboard Projects Almost Done !

OK, I have some pictures of my "work in progress" ..... I have all 32 cork tiles covered with fabric and I just arranged them on the fiberboard and put the wood trim around the edges to get an idea of what the finished pieces will look like. Nothing is glued down yet but I'm almost done!!! Phew!

Here is #1 blue/pink/white 4x4 corkboard...........


Here are the various tiles and colors..... I even added colorful cool ribbon to a couple of the tiles so that you could slide papers under the ribbon instead of putting a pin hole in the paper.

Here is #2 lime green/aqua/purple 4x4 corkboard.................
One of the tiles I added a "pocket", so that you could put, like, a heavier card or small booklet into it.


It really wasn't that hard to make...(although I may be saying this a bit premature cuz I don't even have the dang thing glued and finished yet.. haha)....but the possiblities are endless.
I'm even thinking about taking the girls old corkboards and covering them for my studio.




Here is the project details in case anybody wants to give it a try.
To make 1 very large 4ft x 4ft corkboard:
  1. 4x4 fiberboard (not plywood, it would be too heavy on the wall) - got at home depot -- approx $10
  2. Adhesive / liquid nails - at home depot - approx $3
  3. wood trim pre-painted white - at home depot - approx $15
  4. 4x4 cork (1/4" thick) - http://www.mantoncork.com/ - approx $45
  5. 3 - 30"x40" foamboards - got at local art supply store or I seen them at office supply stores too.
  6. (I needed to cut the foam board to put under the corkboard cuz the cork was not thick enough...when you put a pushpin in the cork it would hit the fiberboard ...so I needed to add another layer so the pin would hold) approx $15
  7. various fabrics ( I only got 1/2 yrds of each color) - approx $9

other tools needed;

  1. utility knife - (to cut the cork and the foam boards)
  2. hot glue (to put the cork and foam board squares together)
  3. a regular office stapler - (to staple the fabric to the squares)

So my cost looks to be about $100 per cork board......the same size 4x4 corkboard in PBTeen is a whopping $500 !!! It's not going to be the most perfect one that you can buy, but since it's just going to get all covered up with photos and papers ....heck, it'll work.....now I can take that extra saved money and go to their most favorite clothes store in the mall....Abercrombie & Fitch...ugh....don't get me going on those PRICES!!! Now if only I could figure out a way to make those jeans!! hahaha


7 comments:

Atticbabys said...

You're an angel Wendy! THanks so much for sharing!
Your girls are going to go gaga over these. The fabrics you chose are so much fun!
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Nan

Diane Duda said...

they look great! i love the lime green and the ribbon is a nice touch.
have a happy, happy holiday!

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

wow, what a fun project! thanks for sharing!

Suzanne said...

What a cute project Wendy! Stopping by to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

These are going to be such a great gift! And good for you, making them makes them even more special. Fun project, too!

Wishing you a lovely Christmas with your family, Wendy.
xo Lidy

Sharon Stevens said...

Well, how'd they like them, Wendy? I'm sure you were a hit!
Just have to say, I love your bears etc. Such great lovable animals and such. Keep up the great work in 2008!
Sharon
Mustard Seed Originals

Unknown said...

They look great, Wendy!! I bet the girls loved them!! I hope you had a very Merry Christmas!!
Happy New Year!!